Thursday, April 15, 2021

Short But Sweet

 It's almost seven in the morning. I've been up since around 2:00 a.m., snoozing for awhile, but mostly awake and listening to meditation recordings from the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center program online. They do a weekly-ish 30 minute meditation lecture on Thursdays that they then post online and I like to listen in from time to time. They've been helping to quell my anxiety recently.

I woke up hungry so I had some yogurt and berries. We had eaten spaghetti squash and marinara with vegetarian sausage and a salad for dinner. It's filling at the time, but it doesn't stick to you (well, not to me anyway). So before bed I had some low-salt Triscuits and sunflower seed butter. Then when I got up at 2:00 a.m., I had yogurt. At six or so, I got up again and had some leftover spaghetti squash with marinara and Parmesan cheese. 

Dinner tonight may be chili with beans and TVP. If not, we'll have burrito bowls. But I'm leaning toward chili, even though I don't have sour cream to top it with. (I love sour cream.)

Yesterday I was feeling a bit inspired, so I pulled out a half finished quilt that has been languishing under my sewing table for almost a year (before that, it had sat for probably another year or so in a different form). With Dave's help, I laid it out and then I started to sash the pieces together. Now it's about 3/4 sashed. Today I'll finish the sashing and then put on a binding and it will be done. After that, I can work on one of my other unfinished projects. Maybe. Or start a new project...

Last night, Dave ordered a new air purifier for the casita. The one we have had for the past several years is a little workhorse, but it's time for an upgrade. The new one should be here on Saturday. In the meantime, I want to vacuum and dust just to welcome it since I don't want to overwhelm it from the get go.  

We also got a new heating pad to replace our kind of scary old one. We've had the old one for god knows how long, at least fifteen years but maybe even 20 or more. I sewed a replacement cover for the ratty old pilled polyester cover that used to be on it, but the plastic pad on the heating pad itself is yellowed and getting kind of brittle and the switch to adjust the level is getting dicey. Because it has still been working, I've been loathe to replace it even though we've been talking about it for a couple of years now. The new one arrived day before yesterday and since I'm still putting everything in a two-day sequester, it's been sitting for two days. I'll have to get it out and test it today. 

So that's my exciting day: More sewing and making friends with a heating pad. And you? What will you do today?

2 comments:

Helen said...

I couldn't find sour cream in the mammoth grocery store a couple of days ago so I just strained some yogurt (plain, non-sugar, full fat) and used that instead. If you are a huge sour cream fan it might not work, but for my crew it worked fairly well. I had a strainer before, no idea where it is now, so I just put some in a coffee filter and put it in a bowl with something (a 1/4 cup measure) turned upside down to keep the filtered yogurt out of the whey. It is a little sour and does have that nice creamy feel to it.

Just in case you don't have any sour cream!!

Good luck with your sewing!

Rosa said...

Hi Helen!

Thanks for the reminder about the yogurt trick! We even always have plain Greek yogurt in the fridge and I can use that. In fact, I think I will make chili this afternoon and do just that. Yum!

Always nice to hear from you!