Friday, June 28, 2024

All's Well That Ends Well

 Dental surgery went fine. I've got stitches in the back of my mouth (on the lower right hand side) and I'm not allowed to brush those teeth (to avoid disturbing the bone graft) until the stitches come out in two weeks. That is kind of torturous. But I'm okay. The morning of, I was not very okay. Kelly very kindly spent a few hours of her morning texting me down off a ledge. I had valium (15 mg total over several hours, which was not enough) and next time I'm going to ask for more valium or supplement it with my own hydroxyzine.  The surgery was quick and painless. I was extremely numb, thankfully. I came home, drank some water, and settled on the couch to wait for the anesthesia to start wearing off. When it did, I took one of the pain pills (hydrocodone 5-325, I think). Later in the evening, after talking to the dentist, I took a half pill. The next morning, I took another half. The next day another half. I have not taken any pain medications since then. It is uncomfortable, but not painful enough for even acetaminophen, I feel. 

I've been resting a lot, rinsing with salt water, trying to ignore the reality of cadaver bone in my jaw and the stitches holding it in.

As far as diet is concerned, I'm living on buttery, cheesy mashed potatoes, tofu with soy sauce, blended carrots and cauliflower, applesauce. Yesterday, I had soft pasta with tuna and mayo. I'm also eating a lot of yogurt because I'm also taking ten days worth of amoxicillin and I need all the good gut bacteria I can get. I take the antibiotic and then a couple of hours later, I eat some yogurt  We borrowed a blender and Dave and I have been sharing an avocado shake (avocado, ice, soy milk and protein powder or a protein drink) in the evenings. The antibiotic makes my stomach hurt so I take it with food and plenty of water. Today, I had it with pulverized oatmeal in soy milk with a scoop of protein powder added. (My stomach still hurts.)

To distract myself I've been watching youtube videos about sewing and actually sewing. I got a new book on Tuesday called The New Quick & Easy Block Tool! 110 Quilt Blocks in 5 Sizes. I'm sewing a block or two a day using random scrap fabric I have hanging around. So far, I've sewn four. Their names are Air Castle, Arkansas Crossroads, Bow Tie, and Broken Dishes.  I made the first two in the twelve inch size and the last two in the six inch size. I'm making them for practice, but eventually they will find their way into a quilt or two, I'm sure.

Today I had some things arrive from Wawak, my favorite sewing supply store. I bought some large sewing clips, two different kinds of elastic (black knitted and white non-roll), some knitted waistbands, pins, hand sewing needles,  a new pair of Kai embroidery scissors (I've been embroidering my whole life--and the last time I counted every pair of scissors in the house I had 28 pairs and I've bought some since--and I have never owned a pair of embroidery scissors). I also got some bra extenders (which are surprisingly hard to find) and some bag hardware (tags, swivel clips, buckles, metal tags). 

While I sew, I've been watching stuff on Netflix. I watched The Incredible True Adventure of Two Girls in Love (a very low budget movie from the 80s) and I'm watching Bodkin (a true crime story set in Ireland) now. I bought a streaming copy of Miyazaki's latest film but haven't been able to bring myself to watch it yet.

What else is going on? 

We had a torrential downpour yesterday. Half an inch of rain according to Dave's rain gauge, which is a lot for us. It's humid today, too, 45%. I went to sit outside on one of the patio chairs and sat on a very wet cushion. It was not pleasant. We went out for a drive yesterday after the storm and it was cool and lovely. 

Today it's cool and lovely but there is no rain coming. Sad. This used to be our monsoon season, but those days are gone.

No comments: