Sunday, June 23, 2024

The Weekend-ish

It's sprinkling rain outside as I write this. Lots of fires going on around us and I wake up congested. It's only supposed to get up to 84 (29C) degrees today, which is nice after a run of days in the upper 90-100+ (37-38C). We stay inside with the AC keeping the house between 72-75 (22-24C) degrees. 

I did some sewing a few days ago, making pajama bottoms for myself and a pillowcase using a rainbow American flag print panel that I ordered a few weeks ago. I have a pair of pants I need to patch a hole in and I want to sew another pillowcase and a few more pajama bottoms.

On Friday, we drove up to Santa Fe, went to a quilt shop that I like up there. I bought 21 yards of fabric, including eight yards of a Marcia Derse fabric that I like very much. (I have a mask made out of the print that I wore when Dave and I were married early in the pandemic.) We also went by Kakawa, a chocolate shop. Dave's lunch was chocolate ice cream and a hot chocolate made with 70% chocolate, orange blossom water, evaporated cane juice, Ceylon cinnamon, vanilla, orange blossom essential oil and almond milk. They call this mixture the 1775 Marie Antoinette Elixer because apparently she favored orange blossom water in her drinking chocolate. When I get hot chocolate there, I usually get the Zapoteca, which is ground, unsweetened cocoa nibs and water. It's an amazing drink that mimics how Mesoamericans first consumed chocolate, a bitter shock to the modern palate.

It's been a few years since we were up in Santa Fe. My blog says the last time we went was in February of 2020. The time before that was in 2016. (I guess we visit Santa Fe every four years.) We often visit the museums in Santa Fe and have lunch somewhere nice, but we didn't do that this time. Trust me, it was enough to get out of the neighborhood.

Saturday was groceries and bathroom cleaning day (which extended into today, Sunday). We also went out for a drive and to distribute a box of books from our donation pile. We visited several Little Free Library sites (two in our vicinity and one near where we used to live) and dropped off most of one box. We are giving away the books we don't want or need to keep, some of our own, some that were in Dave's mother's collection. We have boxes and boxes of books that we plant to donate this way. We could take them all down to Goodwill or another donation site and be done with it, but I like the idea of distributing them this way, for free to people near us. 

I have dental surgery on Monday (tomorrow) and I am so scared. The dentist sent valium and painkillers and antibiotics and I'm so scared of the surgery and wary of taking medications. I'll be okay, right? I keep telling myself that but my anxiety levels are through the roof.

No comments: