Sunday, October 6, 2024

The Fall and After the Fall

 How are we already almost through the first week of October?

Since I last blogged, I finished a quilt top (63"x63" finished size, green and gold scrappy leaves against a royal blue background). I also ordered way too much fabric for my next quilt, which is probably going to be a remake of this quilt, but with larger blocks and a different blue background. I like this background, but it is very dark.

I spent so much money on fabric at Missouri Star Quilt company that I had over 60 entries (you got x number of entries per $10 spent) to their recent Golden Star game promotion. From those 60 entries, I ended up winning a $350 "Best of" box of fabric and supplies (it's being shipped to me), $35 in gift certificates, and about twenty digital quilting patterns (that normally cost  in the range of $2.50 to $8.50 each). I have never once in my life sewn a quilt from a pattern, so they won't do me much good, but I like to look at the photos for inspiration.  So that was fun. I never win anything. I already spent most of the $35 in gift certificates, buying yet more fabric. (I'm on the hunt for a deep blue purple that I ordered and didn't label and now want to order more of. I thought it was royal blue, so I ordered five yards of that, but it wasn't royal blue. But I did use it in the background of the leaf quilt I just finished.
Yes, I'm talking about quilting.

I made a leaf block quilt because it is fall and the leaves on the cottonwoods are starting to change from green to gold. I love the gold leaves as much as I don't love the bare trees. Bare trees (and short days and cold, dry weather) make winter just that much more depressing. I don't know what I'm complaining about, considering that winters don't really get that cold now, what with global warming.

While I sew, I put on Netflix crap on in the background and half-watch, half-listen. I half-watched the new series Nobody Wants This, the latest season of Heartstopper, Deon Cole's latest comedy special, several episodes of Yellowjackets (I liked it, but it got too gory for me, so I had to turn it off), They'll Love Me When I'm Dead (a deadly dull documentary about Orson Welles, whom I adore, but which I also had to turn off, it was that bad), about ten minutes of the Garfield move (it was really bad), the first season of Geek Girl, Logan Lucky, Spy Games, Troy (which was so ridiculous that I couldn't hardly turn away) and part of a documentary about Joan Didion called The Center Will Not Hold (I also turned this one off about halfway through).  I'm half-watching a 20+ year old film called In Good Company (Scarlett Johansson plays Dennis Quaid's tennis jock daughter and Topher Grace the boss who falls in love with her--yawn--but perfect half-watching fare) right now while I straighten up my sewing area and wait for fabric shipments to start arriving. 

In other news: 

The Balloon Fiesta started this weekend and it is magical, morning skies filled with hot air balloons. But it is also annoying with the sudden influx of tourists and traffic jams. One of these days, I'll get up early enough to take photos. Or maybe I'll do it next year.

No comments: